Wednesday, January 16, 2013

I am back!


It has been about 8 months since I have written a post and I miss the good feeling I get when I write something in the hope that I may help out someone else. The reason for the time away is because I have had some major life changes. I quit my job trying to change career. Then decided I was going to give myself more time to prepare for my new career and stay home longer with my boys. I always knew that my life was way too full and I really needed to prioritize!

Now, I am not saying go out and quit your job! This decision was not an easy decision for me or my partner. However, for us I think it was the right one. Back in July, I really fell apart. I was so unhappy with just about everything I was doing. I did not like my job. I missed my new born baby during the day so much and I felt I was neglecting my older son in the evenings. Home life was a mess and we just did not have time for anything and we were too tired to care.

I have always wanted to be a teacher. I can remember playing as a young girl and pretending to be a teacher to my dolls and stuffed animals. I never had a doubt when people asked me "What do you want to be when you grow up?" I always knew the answer was a teacher! However, as most people know, life happens. I did start college with a pursuit of a degree in Secondary Social Science Education. Towards the end of my Schooling I got a divorce and was suddenly a single mom without a job. I searched and searched like a maniac to find ANY job. I was really blessed when I was offered a career in Finance for a really well known and established Television Channel. The downfall was that I have always hated disliked math a whole lot. I have struggled with numbers my whole life. Well, I did not have the luxury of being choosy and I knew that this was a great opportunity for me to be able to provide for my 1 year old and me. It turned out to be ok. I learned tons and continued there for 6 yrs. During this time I was not able to continue my education degree because I was not going to be able to do the student teaching that was necessary to graduate. So, in my senior year I changed major to Liberal Arts and finally graduated with a Bachelor’s degree.

When I met Robert, I knew he was an amazing man right from the beginning. He has always been a supportive and loving person to my son, Brandon and I. We were blessed a couple of years later with our precious little baby, Austin. Things were manageable because we made it work but I was just not happy with the kind of lifestyle I was living. I did not feel that this is what life was all about for us. I knew we could change things, but I also knew it was not going to be an easy journey. I looked over our home finances extensively and I knew that it was not going to be easy but it was definitely not impossible to live on his income alone. Robert and I spoke tremendously about my unhappiness and he did not fail to be the supportive boyfriend he has always been. He encouraged me to follow my dreams. So I made the scary jump and became a stay at home mom.

We have cut down on unnecessary expenses and tried to budget ourselves. Without Daycare, extra gas, going out for lunch and dinners we have found a comfortable spending habit. We are still trying to work on our budget because we have been so used to living on two incomes that it has been a major life style change for us and we do not have it perfect yet. However, the time I am spending with and for my family is making me so much happier than money can ever make me. Being a stay at home mom is the hardest job I have ever had and the most rewarding. This is not a job for everyone. For me though, it has been the best decision I have made so far.

In the meantime, I am studying for my education certification. (I have 3 tests to take to become certified) I am trying to figure out my new stay at home schedule with my now 1 year old. I am also, after schooling with my 7 yr. old son, 7 yr. old nephew and 8 yr. old niece. As if that is not enough, I am also trying to organize my home, creating a cleaning schedule, meal planning and nurturing all of my relationships. Follow me in all of my new pursuit. Maybe we can encourage each other. Especially since I know I might need a lot of help to get this all together. One day at a time...

No comments: